Saturday 6 August 2011

Built for function, not for style.

I like messing with wood, especially free wood. Today I decided to build a Ryczka Stool using the wood I'd salvaged from a pallet the other day.
First off, I needed to work out how big it should be. I'd recently read about the "Golden Selection" ratio, a ratio of sides that together form, what is considered visually most pleasing. The ratios are 1 x 0.62 x 1.62 . The other day I made a couple of wooden blocks, one cut to this ratio and one cut to 1 x 2 x 3.
It was funny, I did't think it would make a lot of difference either way, and I'm sure there are countless group forum chats about if it works or not, but I think the 1x0.62x1.62 block looks better, don't ask me why, I just like it better. So this was the basis of the stool.
First, take three planks of old pallet 100mm x 19mm (4" x 3/4") and butt together, this gave me a seat depth of 300mm. Now, this was my 0.62 ratio, to find the value of 1, I dragged up a maths lesson from the dark recesses of my mind to give me;
 1 = 300 / 0.62
which gave me a height of 486mm. 
Now the width, 
486 x 1.62 = 784.


784??? This was going to be a wide stool! But I wanted to try this Golden Ratio doo da to see what it would turn out like.


 Now the maths and the sketching was over, it was time to break out the tools and knock this bad boy out. I didn't want to use any power tools today, plus I wanted to see what could be achieved with the simplest of tools. I used some nails, 5 minute PVA, a hammer, simple saw, a knife, a block plane and, of course my axe, no build would be complete without some axe work.
I cut the top pieces to length and planed them on the glue faces. This was only going to be a rough build for use in my shed, but I still wanted it to stick together. I used the edge of my big rule and a pencil to mark the high spots, then took them down with my block plane, this gave me some good faces to glue up. If I'd had some long clamps I would have done that, but as I don't have them I split down some battens with the axe and nailed them across to hold it all together. 





The two end pieces were now made, by this time I was way off plan, but that's how I role. Make the best from what you have. I figure that the whole thing could do with some cross stringers to give it some sturdy support, after all, it was going to take 260 lbs of lumbering woodsman on it. I took two bits of wood that had split when I'd took the pallet apart. They were rough and ready and looked great! I don't posses a spoke shave, so I used my sheaf knife held at the right angle to trim off the rough bits. 
Now it was time for the grand finale of putting it all together, there is something really satisfying about driving a nail into wood, especially into end grain, nice sound. Within a few hours I'd gone from a pile of dirty wood to a fully functional stool.

 Once built I ran my block plain over the edges and the seat to prevent any splinter related intrusions.
It may not be the prettiest of stools, There's no fancy dovetail work, just rough saw cuts, nails and glue but there is something about the ratio of sides to height to length that make it look good.
 I like it, it fits well in my work shed and is definitely fit for purpose. So grab some wood and get busy with the glue & nails.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any views or comments, leave them below.